How Does Hypnosis Work?

When I was younger, I heard some expert say that the average person uses less than 10 percent of the mind’s capacity. I used to wonder, “What is the other 90 percent doing?” Hypnosis is a method of focusing the attention in such a way to harness, utilize and direct that other 90 percent of the mind.

 

To quote one of my early hypnosis teachers, Dan Cleary CH, “Hypnosis is a method by which we can alter our state of awareness, allowing us to focus on issues of our choosing. Hypnosis is a tool which we can utilize to enhance or enable whatever we set our minds to accomplish…. In the hypnotic state we can access the subconscious mind to implement, at the most effective level, the changes we desire.”

 

For example, an athlete in the “zone” is able to focus his attention on the game at hand to the exclusion of everything else.  For a moment, the world fades away and only the ball and the hoop exist.

 

Another example of naturally occurring hypnosis, or focused attention, is daydreaming.  I am not sure if you have ever been in a really boring class or a meeting that just seemed to last for-ev-er.    Perhaps you started to daydream.  Suddenly, your attention became so focused on your inner world that things started to disappear in the outer world.  Before long, you were sitting on the beach in Hawaii or hiking a favorite mountain trail.  Maybe you were so completely engrossed in your daydream, focusing all of your attention on your inside world, that when someone asked you a question, you realized that you had no idea what was actually going on in the outside world.

 

Or maybe you have been reading a novel and found that you become so engrossed in the book that everything else fades into the background.  All of these experiences are examples of the focused attention that is characteristic of the hypnotic state.

 

William Wood

1-888-479-4421
http://www.northernutahhypnosis.com

Image © Andrea Danti – Fotolia.com
[vCitaContact type=contact width=500 height=450]

William Wood

William Wood is a hypnotherapist, professional coach, and international trainer. Will has helped thousands of clients all over the United States, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, and Peru create powerful personal transformation. William sees clients in Ogden, Utah, and over Skype. If you would like to book a consultation with William, or invite him to speak at your next event, you can contact me here:

William.Wood@NorthernUtahHypnosis.com or 801-203-3405 (please leave a message)

View all posts

Upcoming Events

Sep
27
Wed
2017
12:30 PM The Vision and Manifestation Acc... @ Webinar
The Vision and Manifestation Acc... @ Webinar
Sep 27 @ 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
This is the 5th Webinar in a series of 6 webinar classes. Once you pay and register you will have access to the replays of the previous webinars. Click the button below to purchase
Sep
30
Sat
2017
1:00 PM Self Hypnosis Workshop @ Northern Utah Hypnosis Center
Self Hypnosis Workshop @ Northern Utah Hypnosis Center
Sep 30 @ 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Click button below to purchase. Make sure to include your email. You will be emailed event information.
Oct
3
Tue
2017
12:30 PM The Vision and Manifestation Acc... @ Webinar
The Vision and Manifestation Acc... @ Webinar
Oct 3 @ 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
This is the last Webinar class in a series of 6 webinar classes. Once you pay and register you will have access to the replays of the previous webinars. Click the button below to purchase.[...]

Get To Know William Wood